Wednesday, October 1, 2014

How to Handle a Bite

After five years of dog walking, I got my first on-the-job bite as detailed in my last post. That was a huge lesson for me to learn, so here I'd like to share my newfound wisdom. If it prevents one person from being hurt, and one dog from being misunderstood, then that's good enough for me:

Before the Bite:

  1. If you work with animals, be sure to be up to date on your tetanus shot, once every ten years minimum.
  2. If you're a dog walker, strongly consider not taking animals with a history of aggression.
  3. Keep a first aid kit in your car.
  4. Talk to your vet about the side effects of giving your dog the Lyme Disease vaccination, such as aggression.

Oh S--- I've Been Bit!
  1. Wash the bite with soap and water well and immediately.
  2. Bandage with antibiotic ointment.
  3. If you need medical attention, go to your doctor's office or Urgent Care. Antibiotics may be necessary, especially if it was a cat bite. Don't go to CVS Minute Clinic, they don't treat bites.
  4. Report it to your local Animal Control. I know, it sucks, but it has to be done.
  5. Elevate the wound over heart level to prevent infection.
  6. Go home and drink a beer.
* The Knotty Dog Walker is not a doctor, just someone who was once bitten. If you need medical attention, see a qualified professional. If this is an emergency, call 911 dummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment