Wednesday, April 22, 2015

DIY Pill Sachets for Cats

The cat didn't want her pill ...
until I tried this trick!
I wish I had invented Greenies Pill Pockets. If so, I would be on a beach right now sipping an umbrella drink, well deserved by the genius who invented them.

If you're not familiar, Pill Pockets are smushy treats with a hole in the middle, in which you insert you pet's medication. Then you smush the treat around the pill and -- voila! -- the pill is now a cookie.

There's a couple of drawbacks to the Pill Pocket, however. They run upwards of $7. Presumably, you just spent your life savings at the vet figuring out what your pet's illness was and then purchasing the appropriate medication. So $7 is starting to look a little steep. Plus, my cats don't even like the Pill Pockets plain, let alone when they have a pill inside! The nice people at Petco are very understanding and will give you your money back.

Let me show you a little trick that my client taught me, that cats like and that saves you $5.




Behold! Whisker Lickins! Potato chips for cats! And they will run you about $1.25 per bag.

As you can see, a Whisker Lickin can accommodate a cat pill, or you can try two treats for a larger pill.



Smush it in, that's a technical pet sitting term ...


Which one has the pill? I'm not telling!


Nom nom nom! 




That's it! All done will pill time. No scratches and one very happy kitty. Feel better soon!

2 comments:

  1. We did that with out pets when I was growing up and I used some of their cat food. There were times the pieces of cat food just wouldn't stay clumped around the pill and it would just fall apart. My cat would just look at me like it was saying "Ha Ha. Nice try!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Hope this works with Felix. I'm also getting that "Ha Ha. Nice try-look!"

    ReplyDelete