Wednesday, April 20, 2016

DIY Dread Band Part Deux

I once purchased an adorable charcoal gray sweater dress for the bargain price of $9.99 on the Macy's bargain rack. I loved that dress. It was turtleneck and knee length, so cute with a bright pair of tights! And it was so comfortable. It felt light I was dressing down but I always received compliments when I wore it.

Man I was I bummed when a cat's claw ripped a hole in it! As with sweaters, the hole just got bigger and bigger until I could no longer pretend people couldn't see it. But it's so dumb to throw out an entire article of clothing because of one hole. What to do?

Me being me, I got out my scissors. I cut along the seam to remove the turtleneck that smelled nostalgically of perfumes past.


I stretched out the fabric and wrapped it around my neck twice like a scarf. Then I pulled one loop up followed by the other. From there, I can play with it to tuck in the scraggly ends and play with the width. I can stack one loop on top of the other or overlap them only slightly to add width.



Ta-dah! Not too shabby. Now, a quick word on buying bargain rack dresses at Macy's ...

I'm trying not to do that anymore. It's a part of the whole vegan thing. I'm trying to live without causing harm to as many living beings as possible, and that includes humans. When something comes dirt cheap (e.g. processed food, genetically modified plants, bargain rack clothes) there is a higher cost somewhere, just not for you in the moment. My $9.99 dress was probably made in a third world country by someone who was not treated kindly all so I could save a buck or two. Not cool. 

Fair trade items cost more and it's a major pain in the butt to finally find a piece of vegan clothing only to discover it was made unethically. I would be lying if I said I can vouch for everything I buy from now on. I still need good dog walking shoes and new underwear from time to time. However, on a dog walker's budget I can go to Goodwill more often. At least that way I'm not directly supporting the overseas manufacturers. And Goodwill has some good stuff! I'll keep you posted on how I do with the transition to fair trade. It almost feels like going vegan all over again, and helps me to have more empathy for people who say it is too hard. I'd like to think we're all on a journey to live more kindly. What's your goal? How's your journey going?

No comments:

Post a Comment